Thursday 5 November 2009

Unbelievable

I find it astonishing how often anxious thoughts now enter my head, in the most trivial of situations, not situations that warrant any sort of anxious repsonse.

For example, today I pulled into a petrol station and started filling up. Then the thought struck me "Oh no, should I fill up the tank completely or just half fill it?" and caused me a fleeting moment of anxiety. There's absolutely no need to worry in such a situation because it doesn't make any damn difference whether I fill it or not, I know that on a logical, rational level. But something deep down in my psyche decided it was something to worry over, at least temporarily.

That said, I have had a good day, I'm just thinking "fuck it", "I don't care" any time an anxious thought enters my mind. I just don't care about being worried any more, at least that's what I'm telling myself. And the mind is a powerful thing so if I keep telling myself "I don't give a crap" when the anxious thoughts enter my head then hopefully I'll start to believe it.

It does seem to be helping too, every time I have an anxious thought if I immediately follow it up with "who the fuck cares?" (or something along those lines) then it seem to take the power out of the anxious thought.

I'll keep practising ....

No comments:

Post a Comment